PIET ZWART INSTITUTE MASTER FINE ART
WILLEM DE KOONING ACADEMY
ROTTERDAM UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES (Hogeschool Rotterdam)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 5, 2017
START DATE: September 1, 2017
The Master Fine Art at the Piet Zwart Institute, an English-language taught, two-year MA program based in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, is offering a part-time teaching opportunity starting in fall 2017. We’d love to hear from experienced writers, academics, critics, artists, or curators with broad interests and professional backgrounds in writing in the context of contemporary art. We seek an associate with solid teaching experience and genuine enthusiasm for innovative writing pedagogy, as well as a collegial attitude towards curriculum development and collaborative work. The writing tutor will be sensitive to the expectations and needs of ambitious young artists who have a variety of linguistic backgrounds, approaches to working with language, and relationships to writing. The writing tutor will be a great communicator who enjoys sharing expertise and facilitating exchange within and outside of the MFA program. The role requires a presence of minimum two days and maximum five days per month in Rotterdam throughout the academic year (beginning September and ending mid-July), as determined by the course administration and the needs of the program. We can only consider applications with EU/EEC work authorization.
The writing tutor provides key support to enrolled students in the first and second year of MA study via seminars, workshops, and individual tutorial supervision. They work in tandem with the current writing tutor, the core studio research and practice tutors, and course coordinator and report directly to the MFA course director. In addition to teaching, PZI MFA tutors help shape the curriculum, participate in assessments, and are responsible for pro-actively dealing with administrative duties linked to their role. This is primarily a teaching role, but the MFA program endeavors to support staff research by providing resources for staff initiatives in public programming, excursions, and publications.
- Contribute to MFA Methods seminar and conduct individual MFA thesis supervision.
- Curriculum development.
- Participate in moderated assessments, delivery of individual grades and feedback.
- Presence at extra-curricular and curriculum-related MFA program activities across the academic year.
- Effective self-organization and management of administrative responsibilities and duties, attendance at staff meetings, coordination with program staff.
- Native-level fluency in English.
- EU/ECC work authorization.
- Relevant academic qualifications according to profession (minimum Master’s degree or equivalent).
- A range of prior teaching experience or experience mentoring writers within a higher education framework.
- A strong skill base in writing in English, and a record of accomplishment in writing practice. Editing experience is a plus.
- A keen interest in and knowledge of contemporary art and debates around contemporary art pedagogy.
- The capacity to work independently, to responsibly balance part-time workload, and adhere to deadlines.
Piet Zwart Institute
The Piet Zwart Institute houses the international Master programs of the Willem de Kooning Academy and Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool Rotterdam). Named after the pioneering Dutch designer Piet Zwart, who worked experimentally across different media and contexts, our institute offers a rich combination of in-depth specializations and interdisciplinary exchange in an intimate learning environment. For more information about the Master Fine Art program, its students and staff, please visit: http://test.pzimediadesign.nl/master-fine-art/
Salary and employment conditions
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool Rotterdam) will initially offer a temporary contract, with the possibility for extension. The salary range is calculated pro-rata to HBO-CAO grade 12 (between € 4,122.09 minimum and € 5,301.29) for fulltime employment, exclusive of additional 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Benefits include an attractive pension scheme. It is possible to negotiate offsetting travel costs for appropriate candidates who live outside the Netherlands.
How to Apply:
Please send your cover letter with a brief statement on your teaching philosophy and description of prior teaching, curriculum vitae (including bibliography), and a published writing sample before June 5, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate MFA Writing Tutor Application in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis and suitable candidates will be short-listed and invited for an interview in mid-June. The position will remain open until filled. Queries may also be addressed to email@example.com.