Information for international students
Note: Everything mentioned on this page does not concern your application package. It is only relevant to you if you have been accepted into the study programme and are about to move to the Netherlands. You will receive more detailed information on all below requirements upon your acceptance.

International students must fulfill a number of requirements to be able to study in the Netherlands. The main requirements are proficiency in English (see TOEFL/IELTS section in Application Requirements) and a valid residence permit. Non-EU students, however, have to fulfill a number of additional conditions in order to qualify for a residence permit.

For general practical information please check here.


EU and EEA countries
The current EU (European Union) and EEA (European Economic Area) countries are:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxemburg
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

Residence permit
EU nationals do not need to apply for a residence permit in advance, but they do have to register with the Civil Affairs Department (‘Dienst Burgerzaken’ at city hall) of the municipality in which they will live. We inform you of the application deadline upon your acceptance.

Official address in the Netherlands
In order to register with the Civil Affairs Department in Rotterdam, or any other place in the Netherlands which you have chosen as your city of residence, you will need an official tenant’s contract as well as a form signed by the landlord or organisation that you rent from. This form should state that he or she is the owner of the building and legally allowed to rent it to you or let you stay as a guest. This form can be obtained at the local city hall.

Non-European students

For non-EU/EEA students, the annual tuition fee for the full-time course differs from EU/EEA students. Non EU first year students cannot pay the tuition fee in instalments. See updated fee information in Tuition Fees.

Study visa
Students from non-EU countries need to obtain a visa before they can enter the Netherlands.
For information about the visa procedure please check the website of the Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences, Centre of International Affairs.

If you are accepted to the Piet Zwart Institute, the Centre of International Affairs  will apply for an entry visa on your behalf. This procedure is faster and more secure than applying for a visa independently.

Non-EU students who need to apply for entry visa to be able to study in the Netherlands must pay their fees and provide proof that they have sufficient funding to live and study in the Netherlands before June 15th.

Part-time programs
For the two part-time programs of the Piet Zwart Institute: Master Design and Master Education in Arts, it is not possible for non-EU applicants to obtain a study visa. For this reason, both masters cannot accept non-EU applicants, unless they have an EU passport, or are residents in the Netherlands and have a visa which allows them to follow a part-time course.